Saturday, June 20, 2015

Taking the kids out, without mom...

For the Saturday before Father's Day, I got to take Mikan, Anica, Drexler, cousin Arielle and Grandma Gensic out for the day.  First, we went to try to buy Geiger counters through craigslist from a guy in Kalamazoo, but none of them worked, so we didn't buy any of them. Then we went to the Kalamazoo Valley Museum.  I highly recommend the Kalamazoo Valley Museum.  It is a little over an hour drive from South Bend, but my kids can spend 5 hours, including a 45 minute $3 per person planetarium show.  General admission is free.  They have highly interactive exhibits (history, science, etc.) that my children engage very well with.  I usually leave Jenna behind to give everyone much needed time away from each other.

After dropping off Arielle and Grandma with Annette, I took my kids to Bonneyville Mill.  This is an Elkhart County Park, with free admission, nature trails, a wade-able sand bottom stream and an operational mill.  Most Saturday afternoons there is a party going on in the pavilion that Anica and Mikan try to get us invited to, so that we can eat their food.  The best part of the park is the mill pond rocky dam that the kids wade up to and crawl up.  Then Anica likes to sit "Mermaid Style" on the top of the waterfall.  Mikan did the same thing and his non-existent booty cheeks couldn't hold up his pants.  Also, Mikan had to go potty while we were wading in the river.  It is here that he learn that going potty (#1) in a body of water shouldn't include pulling your pants down.  I thought this would be innate behavior, apparently it is not.  I wonder if that is a manifestation of autism. :) My children are the only people I ever see wearing swimsuits at this park.

My children love Kalamazoo Valley Museum and Bonneyville Mill.  They ask to go there frequently.  I love going to these places. Both are free will not be as entertaining for my kids when they are adolescents.

On a final note...Drexler and Anica are running a fever while Mikan was hungry right before going to church.  I gave Mikan a spoonful of creamy peanut butter to appease the hunger without Pringles.  Mikan then shared with Drexler some of the peanut butter by sticking the same spoon in Drexler's mouth.  I was happy Mikan shared on his own, Jenna was mad about spreading germs, and I was excited about spreading germs where I simply said "hygiene hypothesis."  Anybody else have arguments with their spouses about the "hygiene hypothesis?"

No comments: