Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Big 'D'



Mikan's ENT gave us the go ahead to schedule Mikan's DECANNULATION! She said that the sleep report showed Mikan had about 7 "disturbances" per hour. She said for someone without a trach, five disturbances or under is considered normal, so she wasn't concerned about his 7. The report also showed that he dropped his oxygen to 89 sometimes, for a period of 20 seconds. I assured her that he sleeps with an oximeter at home and that this has never happened unless he was severely sick and needed oxygen. It was an uncomfortable night for all of us. She also looked at Mikan's tonsils and said they were medium-sized, but nothing she thought that needed to be taken care of before we experimented with taking the trach out. So the ENT and pulmonologist are comparing schedules for a PICU stay for Mikan (maybe within the next few weeks!). It will at least be one day and one night, possibly longer.

We are obviously excited about the possiblity of life without trach care, valves, and suctioning. I'm trying not to be too anxious since we don't know how Mikan will react, but I can't help but be excited for water this summer (that's maybe more than a few inches deep), or letting him play in the sand, or possibly putting him in a full-sized bath tub. All those little things that trach parents appreciate so much more if their kiddo is fortunate enough to get rid of the tube. We're hopeful for Mikan. Thanks for praying for us.

10 comments:

the three wise menn said...

Awesome! We will continue to pray as this proccess moves forward, that things go smoothly. :) What a wonderful thing to get to celebrate!

Andrea

Michelle and Sean said...

Oh my gosh I am so excited for you all!! I can't believe it!! I was praying and waiting to hear what they were going to say to you guys!! I keep praying that everything goes smoothly.

Yay Mikan!!

Jamie said...

awesome news! you are in the home stretch. i have a feeling he will do awesome and be trach free in just a few short weeks. :)

Hope said...

Oh WOW! I'm so freakin' excited for you! Huge, huge prayers that he does perfectly.

Colton's Journey said...

How exciting the BIG D word is being talked about!

DevonLeah said...

THis brings tears to my eyes. I wish yall lived closer, we could have a trach out party. =o) I am so happy for you all and Mikan of course!!!! You are so right about the little things we'd appreciate. When Camden gets home from PICU, I have things planned for him. LOL A real shower, big tub where he can lay on his tummy and float with know worries...list goes on. =) Yeah for you all!

John and Jenna Gensic said...

(John here) I had not thought too much about what Mikan has been missing with a trach. Gesh, let's get that thing out.

Ann said...

Awesome news! Congrats and the best of luck for a trach-free summer. You and Mikan have come a long way and I'm so very happy for you that the big "D" is a possibility in the very near future.

Joseph J said...

This is truly a blessing! I can't help but feel that God has an amazing plan for this little guy and you wonderful parents are His means to accomplish His will.

God bless you all!

Alicia said...

I'm over the moon with excitement about this! I hope and pray that things will go smoothly and Mikan can have a naked neck very, very soon!