Friday, November 20, 2009

G-Tube Dilemma

Lately we've been having problems with Mikan's g-tube balloons bursting in his stomach. We've gone through two balloons in three weeks. Each one is supposed to last three months. Our home care company warned us that they would have to start charging us whatever our insurance wouldn't cover. They are $219 apiece. Well, we ordered a back-up a week and a half ago when the first one burst. I called to follow-up about not receiving a back-up twice after my first phone call. Guess what? Last night our back-up burst. Why wasn't one delivered? I'm not sure. No one thought it was immediate enough of an issue to bring one out yesterday evening, so this is what we had to do to Mikan's stomach to make sure the damaged one didn't fall out.



Today I have to run into South Bend and miss Mikan's PT in order for him to get a new g-tube before the weekend. No one was driving out to our area today, so we were informed we had to pick one up ourselves. John's at work and I am leaving for Indy in a few hours, so as soon as his home care nurse arrives, I am off to get a new g-tube. Why do they keep bursting? We are going to try and return the damaged ones so we hopefully don't have to pay. Sigh.

8 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh no!! That is just not right. I hope your DME can take the burst ones back and send them back to the manufacturer to get their refund so you don't have to foot the bill. It's not your fault they keep bursting.

I'm praying for you and I hope Mikan gets a g-tube soon. Poor guy shouldn't have to endure being all taped up.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

Michelle and Sean said...

ugh, thats frustrating. Sounds like there is a batch of defective ones. They shouldn't charge you for those, at least thats what our doctors have told us when they thought that the tail of the g-tube kept breaking on Maggies and they thought they were defective and turns out Maggie just has some crazy back pressure. Hopefully your next one will work much better. We pray that there will be no more bursting in Mikans stomach anymore. Good luck!!

Rachel said...

What size is he? Gabe just went up a size and we have like 5 extras of 0.8 - I'd happily send them to you.

Kara @ KSS said...

Wow, so sorry Jenna. I hope they don't charge you, that would be horrible.

Colton's Journey said...

If your using the mic-key one. The company can replace for free up to 30 days! Call the manufacturer directly. Save your product ID sticker on the box. Save the destroyed one too. Recentl we switched to the AMT mini that fits with the mic-key extensions...two months and going strong!
Email me if you need help. I've also heard good things about the non balloon type tooo.

Colleen said...

Oh no..we went through that too for awhile and had to go from a 18 fr to a 14. Do you have any foley's at home? We keep those around just in case we need to keep the stoma from closing. Best of luck!

DevonLeah said...

ugh, I went through that, but mine lasted much longer. Like a month, I think. THen one would slowly leak where Id have to fill it weekly. Now the one I have is super strong, lol. I even yanked it out the other day and it was still intact. You just never know. Maybe you just happen to get a few bad ones in a row. Either way, that stinks and I hope you get a refund!! What size is he?

Rachel said...

Okay the exact size of the extra's I have are 14 fr 0.8 cm. Do you need any?