Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Still Talking About It...


Mikan spent most of his early morning flirting with the outpatient surgery nurses and chewing on plastic silverware in the hospital lounge. After the procedure we received some pretty good news. Mikan's ENT is still talking about getting rid of the trach! The fact that we get to discuss those plans is so exciting for us. She was unable to downsize during surgery because more granulation tissue had grown inside the upper airway where the trach rubs, and she needed to remove it. However, she didn't have to use the lasers and she just pushed it through his stoma. His lower airway looked great!

So, where do we go from here? Well, she has given us the order to experiment with capping the trach at home once he heals from this procedure. After that she wants to take a look at him again in her office. She mentioned sleep studies and possibly another scope before she removed or downsized, but at least we are moving in the right direction! Thank you God and thanks to everyone who has been praying for Mikan!

6 comments:

Hope said...

That GREAT news!! Yay Mikan!! I'm praying he heals fast and capping goes very well. Exciting!!

Jamie said...

ok, so i officially can say that mikan holds a special place in my heart. we're on vacation and while looking out over the ocean today, he is all i could think about. i prayed all morning that you would get great news and i'm so happy to hear how everything turned out! before you know it you will be trach free.

Junior said...

so happy to hear such wonderful news.

Colleen said...

Woohoo! It's so exciting that you're able to discuss these plans with the ENT. I hope the capping goes well for him.

Jason and Rachel said...

Hi guys! Wow...what FANTASTIC news!!! Reading this made me thing of all of the people who formerly had trachs...and what their parents and they must have gone through to get to that point. I'm so happy for you guys!!!! Hooray for Mikan!!!

On a side note, does Mikan see a Dietician through First Steps? We are having Vicki Cracker come out to see Quinn and she wondered where our house was in relation to Ben Street! :) So, I thought to myself...'hmm..I wonder if she sees Mikan!' Of course I didn't ask her because I know that she can't say but I sure did wonder! :)

DevonLeah said...

that is wonderful! I know we have to get through the flu season before getting ours out, but yes, talking about it feels so great!
That Mikan is sooo cute and I just want to hug him. Continued prayers for your little man....