Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Plethora of Problems


Mikan found a green bean in our garden that we let grow a little too long.

After a week straight of going on no more than 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep at a time, I took Mikan to see his pulmonologist and ENT. Both concluded that he probably had picked up some kind of bug since surgery that may have been resistant to the antibiotic he was taking. The constant cough probably wasn't allowing his airway to heal normally either. Oh, and he has an ear infection...and he's getting teeth...and his g-tube is really sore...and he is growing more granulation tissue on the outside of his trach stoma, leaving it really tender. No wonder he's been crabby. But he finally has been sleeping better the last two nights. I hope this is a good trend. His doctors put him on a steroid for 5 days to help him heal (I thought we were done with those...), Augmentin to hopefully kill his bug, Xopanex breathing treatments, and a steroid cream for his granulation tissue (We used some silver nitrate on it at home too). Oh, and he got a flu shot and blood drawn that day as well. Poor guy.

His pulmonologist gave us a little depressing news, although we'd been predicting it anyway. He doesn't recommend that Mikan gets his trach out this fall, even if he is ready. We are rapidly approaching cold and flu season and he wants to be cautious, which is understandable. With this new illness delaying our capping, I don't think he's going to be ready for awhile anyway.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Poor little guy...I hope he feels better soon and gets some much needed sleep. Sorry about the sad news about getting his trach out. On the other hand, I guess it is better to be safe during the cold and flu season.

Hope said...

Wow, that's a lot. Poor baby:( I hope he feels better. I'm sorry about the trach. Maybe he and Marissa can get them out together this Spring!

Ann said...

I hope Mikan is back to his happy, sleeping self soon.

Jamie said...

even if he's miserable it looks like mikan always finds a way to smile. :) hopefully he is feeling better soon and letting you guys get some sleep at night.

ps...jealous you get to grow fresh green beans. ;)

DevonLeah said...

Poor baby!! o wonder he is cranky ;(
I have had to get over the fact that camden wont get his out due to flu season either. At first I had a hard time with it...knowing that he would probably be of the vent and ready in a couple mths, but it being the wrong darn season. Springtime will be here sooner than we think. ( this is what i keep telling myself ;))

prayers for ((Mikan)) today!

Alicia said...

Holy huge green bean, Batman!!

I just read on FB that the sleep issue is starting to resolve. Thank God for that!!

I am sorry about the news of no decan for now. I know how disappointing that is.

Praying for you guys always!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

That's a lot for one little guy! I hope the steroid works quickly and he starts feeling better soon.

And that is a HUGE green bean!