Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Few Updates



Mikan showing off his ball-handling skills with Poppi this weekend.

Mikan's surgery was moved from July 31st to June 29th. This is good news; decisions will be made sooner, rather than later. After talking with several other parents, doctors, and nurses, we've decided to explore reconstructive options at either Chicago or Cincinnati if we get bad news in June.

In the meantime, Mikan's status has remained the same. He still has a horrible gagging/wretching fit 2-3 times a day. The Prevacid hasn't done anything to stop it. I'm not really sure if it was supposed to prevent this or not. I guess we won't know for sure if it's working until he has another scope.

However, we are very close to a 24 hr vent-free period! The last three nights Mikan has slept with no peep. He is only using his pressure support of 10. His respiratory status hasn't changed, although at night I've noticed his sats drop sometimes to 88-89 and then pop right back up again to the 90s when he's in a deep sleep. This is atypical for him; however, I'm not too concerned. I think a lot of babies do that...right?

We are supposed to call the pulmonologist tomorrow and give him a report on the weekend. When Mikan is ready to be off the vent, he will order an oximeter recording device that will track his vital signs overnight so he can review them later.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Glad you got the surgery moved up... the sooner the better!

And hooray for all the progress getting off the vent!!! I'll keep praying he just keeps taking steps forward!

FYI ~ I changed the name of my blog from "Marissa Lynne" to "Rissa Roo and Her Family Too!" and I know one person already told me that when I did that, my blog dropped off their blogroll. Same address though:
marissalynne-07.blogspot.com
Just wanted to let you know in case this happened to you too.

Have a great week

Alicia

Bellamy, Kevin , Faith said...

I love reading your blog. it helping me with my Daughter decision of the surgery 2 she need the surgery because she have narrow airway.. so I hope everything goes well for you guys

Michelle and Sean said...

I am so happy that they moved up the date for the surgery. I really hope everything gets taken care of and everything goes smoothly. Or more smooth than not:)

Thanks for the info about Maggies G-tube. I will check with her doctor on that for sure. I just don't know why we have so many troubles with baby food. Her stomach just gets so distended. I will let you know what they say. Thanks again.

Take care

Colleen said...

That's wonderful news that he's doing so well off of the vent for periods of time. YAY!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I'm glad you got the surgery moved up. It's better to get it done and out of the way.

I hate those retching/gagging fits. My peanut is on Prevacid and Erythromiacin for reflux, and we still retch and gag a ton.