Thursday, May 28, 2009

Busy Week!






John and I are pretty exhausted. It is our final week of work for the summer. The last day for students is tomorrow. John begins teaching summer school Biology next week though till the end of June. No rest for the weary. Mikan has also gotten into this horrible habit of waking between 4:30 and 5:30 in the morning, ready to play, no matter what time he goes to bed. I also have to suction him pretty frequently at night when he is off the vent because his secretions (no matter how small) rattle loudly in his humidity filter and keep everyone, including him awake (the vent circuit would hide this noise). Now going to bed at 9 (which was 13 minutes ago) is essential for my sanity.

Mikan has remained off the vent for 12 days now. His pulmonologist called today and ordered another blood gas in one week. My gut tells me that we are ditching the vent for good. He is doing such a great job breathing without it. Please pray that we don't have any major setbacks before/after surgery in June.

Mikan is getting stronger each day. He now likes to rock and scoot his legs a little while on hands and knees, but he still keeps his hands still.

I hit Mikan in the face with his fisher price basketball today. I was horrified, but he was unphased, so I think that means he's ready for face-to-face combat with JT.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

I don't know how you feel about "white noise" but if you go to Bed Bath and Beyond and shell out $20, you can pick up a sound machine that works really well to drown out noise. That might alleviate the need to suction every little secretion.

Isn't it amazing what we can do to these kids and they act like they don't even notice? I have hit Marissa with toys before and she giggles!! Of course, like you, I was horrified, but she didn't care. Maybe they figure they've been through too much to sweat the small stuff. Like "Hey, I breathe through a hole in my neck, a basketball to the face ain't nothin'!"

I will be praying for you guys and no setbacks for Mikan.

Have a great weekend!

Colleen said...

Wow, 12 days off the vent! I will be praying that this continues and there will be no set backs.

DevonLeah said...

I stumbled across your blog a couple of hours ago after googling easy ways for tummy time for my 4 mth old trached and g tube baby, (or something like that.) I loved reading about Mikan's journey. My night nurse has called in sick tonight, so I needed something to keep me awake. :) Prayers for him and looking forward to seeing pics of him without that trach. :)

Tamara said...

So sorry I haven't been by in awhile! I LOVE the glasses, what a sweet boy!!!

Michele said...

I am so happy for you that he's been off the vent for 12 days! Good luck with losing the vent for good! Saying prayers for you! You have a tough little guy there! Very cute too, I might add! Oh...and the white noise comment that Alicia said....it really does help! Good luck!