Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cinnamon Allergy?



I'm not sure how visible it is in this picture, but I tried to capture Mikan's first "food reaction." We gave him applesauce and added a bunch of cinnamon (all spices were recommended by the speech therapist to try adding to his purees since he can't taste very well with the trach). Anyway, after a few bites and making a mess on his face, I cleaned him up and noticed a bright red ring around his upper lip, cheeks and chin. He seemed pretty happy, even after eating it, so I don't think it was an allergic reaction (nothing severe at least), something just his skin was sensitive to I guess. It went away later in the afternoon. But we'll be avoiding cinnamon just in case. Bummer.

3 comments:

Tara Ashlee said...

Awww, he looks so happy and sweet, he was probably so excited to have the cinnamon even if it was a tiny bit of an allergic reaction he wouldnt tell you! haha By the look of that face, he probably wouldve kept going!! haha

Angela Saoud said...

Note to self: Do NOT sprinkle Mikan's desserts for tomorrow with cinnamon. :)

Can't wait to see you guys!

Laya's Mom said...

My daughter just had the same reaction to applesauce I put cinnamon in. The spots where it dribbled out her mouth turned red for about 30min. I'm almost positive its the cinnamon because the regular applesauce did not bother her.