Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday

Things remain pretty much the same. Mikan's carbon dioxide levels remain high, therefore his vent pressure was increased a little. He looks good, but blood gases continue to show a deficiency in his respiratory system. He has continued to gain weight. Last night he was 4 lbs. 2 ounces. He is starting to look more like a baby and less like a fetus.

Yesterday, the weekend doctor described a child who no one thought was ready to be extubated, but pulled his tube out accidently. They decided to put that child on a c-pap instead of a ventilator and ended up never having to be on a ventilator again. Personally, I think Mikan would survive extubation. Just get the tube out of his throat and let's see.

One thing Jenna and I have noticed as a positive is the baby care knowledge that we are amassing during this period. Being first time parents, we are enjoying our "extended internship" with professional child care providers to learn from. Also, handling a 1, 2, 3, and now 4 pound baby gives Jenna and I confidence and no fear of the small. No one can say "You really shouldn't handle an infant like that." If they do, we can shoot back with a "Really? You've handled a premature baby that's been on a vent for 2 months? Oh, wait, you haven't. That's right."

The weekend doctor gave Jenna a heart to heart about spending more time out and taking care of herself for her own sanity. First of all, he isn't our regular doctor. Second, staying at the hospital has allowed me to see Mikan much more than otherwise. Third, if Jenna were at home what would see be doing? His point was that it will still be awhile. All indications point to mid-June to early July. However, as long as I am in school, we will try to stay at the hospital. I like seeing him in the mornings and not having to drive home late and get up extra early.

3 comments:

Aunt Deb said...

So, was the doctor who told the story about the baby pulling his tube trying to see if you wanted to try it? I bet he feels like a ton at 4lbs!!!!! He sure is a handsome little guy - - must take after Jenna's family.

Kara said...

Hey Jenna,
I just found out a couple days ago about Mikan. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Even though we haven't talked much in years, it still hurts to know one of my childhood best friends is going through struggles, expecially over her child.
However, it's great to look through the blogs and pictures and see how Mikan has improved. He's a trooper.
I will keep you and your family in my prayers...I know God has a reason and a plan through it all. :)
God bless,
Kara (Lewis)

Mary Ann said...

Hi Jenna and John,
I see that Shannon (my friend the hairdresser) contacted you regarding the fact that she went through a similar situation with her daughter who is healthy and normal now. If you get a chance, please give her a call. She has gone through this too and will have the right words of encouragement for you. I was suppose to share her photo journal of her experience with you but we have not been able to connect at the right times to get those to you.
I know it is so frustrating that the vent is not out yet. Give Mikan a few more days. He'll do it when he is ready. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you daily.
Love,
Mary Ann & Mike