Monday, April 21, 2008

Steroids: Day Three

Mikan looks really good lately. He is breathing a lot on his own. his vent rate was reduced to 15 breaths per minute and his oxygen is at 40% this evening. He is alert more often and doesn't get as irritated when he is touched. Despite his progress, the doctors still seem to think he may fail the first time they try to take him off the vent, which will most likely be this week if he continues to do well. If he fails, then we will most likely be in for an even longer haul. This will mean we wait a few weeks for him to grow, then he will be on a continual dose of steroids. Unfortunately, this might also mean that he doesn't go home till the end of June since he can't even begin to try eating until he is off the C-Pap (which the doctor estimates he could be on for a month), which is one step down from the vent. But we're hoping for once Mikan will surprise the doctors with positive instead of negative progress.

2 comments:

shannon hahn said...

Hi my name is Shannon Hahn. Maryann Saoud has shared your story with me I work in the hair salon she goes to. I also have a premmie. She is now 3 1/2 years old. I just wanted you to know I would love to talk with you if you have any questions I have been there. You are in great hands .I don't know what we would have done without everyone at the memorial nicu. My daughter was born at 26 weeks 6 days 2lbs 1oz 14 inches long she was there one day short of nine weeks. She came home on Christmas eve.while reading your blog it brings back so many memories. I know this is a very difficult time but,I will assure you you come away from this a much stronger person. The appreciation for life after this experience is something I cant even describe. If there is anything I can do for you please call me 273-1135 God bless you all. Shannon Hahn

Kory LaBonne said...

Hey J!

Its Kory, I have been reading the blogs almost everyday, glad to read that Mikan is doing better! Hopefully things will contine to get better and better! But just wanted to take a second and let all three of you know we are all thinking of you, and we miss you like CRAZY at school! Things just arent the same without our Gerda around! lol. I'll keep reading everyday...Take care, best wishes, and hope to see you soon!

-Kory