Wednesday, April 23, 2008




Mikan is in about 35% oxygen and at 15 breathes per minute provided by the ventilator. The carbon dioxide levels in his blood were too high to try and extubate him today. If his gases are good tomorrow morning, they may try and extubate him tomorrow. Otherwise, he would be taken off the steroids and we would wait awhile before trying to get him off the ventilator again.

Our hopes are for extubation tomorrow. So we're praying for good gases and a good lung x-ray. After that, we're hoping for a strong showing for his lungs once the tube is out. I think he'll feel better once the tube is out of his throat.

4 comments:

g.gensic.jr said...

He is looking so strong! All of our prayers are with him tomorrow!

Aunt Deb said...

He looks like he is getting so much bigger and cuter every day. Good luck tomorrow, my thoughts are with him. How wonderful it will be for both of you too to hold him without all the equipment and hear him cry. The feeding tube should come out pretty quickly after the vent and then you can feed him too. Best of luck to all three of you.

Biggest FAN (favorite aunt Nikole said...

You can do it Mikan! Big hugs from your cousins.

anastasia said...

He looks so good, J&J! Thanks for keeping up with the blog. It's great to be able to cheer him on--even if only virtually. And your frank explanations of what Mikan is going through is a great education for all of us. You guys are doing GREAT!!!! Love you all, FAS.