Monday, March 3, 2008

3rd Monday

Another day inside Jenna, the baby must be in heaven. Tomorrow culminates week 28. The doctor and Jenna discussed C-section scenarios this morning. Also, a NICU person came in and gave us information about the blood bank and possible needs for blood transfusions once the baby is born.

The NICU person is working on some research related to sleep patterns and breastfeeding. The researchers have found that women who breastfeed continually and did not store their milk provide their babies a better understanding of night and day. For example, breastmilk that is dispensed at 2 am should be fed to the baby at 2 am on a following day (possibly due to chemicals in the milk that are released by the mother at that particular time of day). There may be mixed messages sent to a baby if it is 6 pm but is getting fed milk that came from a mother that pumped at 6 am. Interesting.

Jenna did not eat her apple today, and the doctor came this morning. Irony, I think not.

We are thankful for your continued thoughts and prayers. We hope to keep this good thing going. Any time in the NICU will mean limited time together as a complete family during that period. I am also thankful for the prolonged winter weather. I think that Jenna is enduring more happily with the snow, sleet, freezing rain, and cold weather happening outside.

We are looking for recommendations on a good pediatrician in the South Bend/New Carlisle area. Drop us an email or give us a call if you have a name for us. Once again, thanks.

3 comments:

Life in the Bend said...

Weren't you going to throw a party if you made it to tomorrow without the baby being born?

Dr. Glen Davis at the South Bend Clinic came recommended to us and we like him a lot so far as our pediatrician.

Jenna, I have differing feelings about the weather, but I will look upon it more kindly now that I know it helps you feel a little less cooped up.

Mom Kartje said...

John,Jenna and Mikan sure are benefiting by all those prayers! I saw Jenna today, and her belly is growing! She looks good and Mikan sounds great(even if the nurses think he is stubborn). Bring on the PARTY!! We made it into March, and looking for sometime in April for the blessed event. Love you guys, Mom

mabel said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://maternitymotherhood.net