Wednesday, March 12, 2008

1 week, or 29 weeks, or -11 weeks


We choose option C: -11 weeks.

This morning Mikan had a plethora of procedures performed on him, like usual. He had chest x-rays and stomach x-rays. The echo-cardiogram showed that his ductus has enlarged; therefore, the doctor started him on his heart medication today to try and close it. He has stopped feedings for 3 days while he takes 3 doses of the medicine. Hopefully this closes the ductus so he won't need surgery.

Today his hemoglobin oxygen saturation levels where up and down more than usual. The nurses seemed to think this is normal; however, when his isolette beeps and flashes continuously all day, it is hard to have calming, relaxing visits with him. So today was pretty stressful for John and I. Nurses were constantly watching him and adjusting his oxygen levels. I think Mikan had a crush on one of the nurses.

John went back to work today. We are still staying at the hospital near the NICU. The itinerant lifestyle has worked out well for us so far. John and I are used to the itinerant lifestyle; however, we are remorseful we won't be seeing a few national parks this week with Jake, Ben, Matt, Annette, and Gil as a result.

Uncle Steve visited today and confirmed that Mikan was much cuter in person than any picture could capture. I agree.

John went to stations of the cross today at school, which was a good way to gain strength for the next undetermined amount of time, possibly 18-20 years. Thanks to everyone who is also praying for us.

5 comments:

Tom & Jeanette Reifenberg said...

John, Jenna, and Mikan,

We just got word of your blog today and wanted to let you know that you have been in our prayers and will continue to be in our prayers in the weeks to come.

Jeanette and Tom

Mom Kartje said...

What a BEAUTIFUL picture! God Bless You All...Nina and Poppi

Kathleen said...

Yay! I finally got this to work...I've been trying to sign up a Google account for awhile, but it kept saying "ERROR".

Congratulations on Mikan's birth!You are all in my thoughts and prayers...last week I was listening to 94.3 and they were promoting the March of Dimes and callers kept sharing their stories about delivering early. A lot of the callers had delivered around the 28th week and they all had positive, uplifting stories to share. I know your story will be the same.

I want to come visit, but the flu has been going around my office (again), so I'm going to hold off. I'm also going to be out of town soon to visit a school...I got accepted to Illinois State!

I'll talk to you soon though!

Angela Saoud said...

Hi J, J, and M,

LOVE the picture, although, for the life of me, I can't understand why you won't post the picture or Mikan flipping off the nurse. Hmm, maybe in a later blog.

We're still planning to come up tonight, if that's okay with you guys. And, if it's not okay with you, that's too bad, because we plan to bring you delicious treats.

Love,
Ang

Aunt Deb said...

what an amazing picture, and a beautiful baby!! I hope the medication works to close the PDA, I will say a prayer for all of you.